To promote sexual and reproductive health and freedom in Tennessee by advancing policies and practices which recognize these elements as essential to the overall well-being of all individuals and communities.
We envision a future where all Tennesseans are healthy, have privacy, and are empowered to make the best decisions for themselves and their communities, within their own moral and faith traditions and have access to the resources they need to make informed choices about all facets of their lives.
All Tennesseans deserve access to affordable health care without stigma, discrimination, judgment, or punishment.
We believe that:
- Sexual health and reproductive autonomy are core elements of our overall health and wellbeing.
- Sexuality is a natural and positive part of our lives.
- Tennesseans should have access to accurate and complete information about sexual and reproductive health based on the best available science.
- Tennesseans should have access to the full range of safe and legal reproductive health care services.
- The distinct health issues of Tennesseans are as unique as the individuals themselves and these differences should be acknowledged, respected, and addressed.
- In order to achieve sexual and reproductive freedom, we must address current and historic systems of oppression including but not limited to racism, sexism, classism, anti-LGBTQ, and ableism. These systems of oppression have created inequity in access to care and must be dismantled.
We support the right of all Tennesseans to:
- Make private decisions about their sexual and reproductive health, free from intrusion or coercion by any government, group, or individual.
- Access a full range of legal, safe & affordable sexual and reproductive health care along with accurate information about their health care options.
- Be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their reproductive decisions.
These core values inform how we make decisions about the work of the network. They are meant to keep us grounded and for accountability to our community. All of our decisions should be rooted in one or more of these values.
We strive to:
- Center the leadership and leadership development of women and people of color.
- Center the Reproductive Justice framework.
- Commit to centering anti-oppression work/dismantling White supremacy.
- Be transparent with coalition members.
- Honor the lived experiences of those most directly impacted by issues, and create space for those directly impacted to share their experiences.
- Support the work of partners.
- Cultivate/invest in new reproductive rights/justice leaders and provide the necessary training/professional development opportunities to support their leadership.
- Commit to practicing transformative justice, which is a framework that addresses the root causes of harm (including oppression and marginalization) and imagines alternatives to punitive measures. These alternatives include community based practices that are rooted in healing and seek to ensure that everyone’s basic needs are met.
- Activate a network that embraces positive and effective approaches to sexual and reproductive health education and clinical services based on the best available science.
- Normalize open dialogue about sexual health and reproductive rights between relationship partners, parents and children, health care providers and patients, educators and students, citizens and policy makers.
- Empower individuals to protect their own sexual and reproductive health while respecting the health and decisions of others.
- Support clinicians and educators in providing health services and information based on the best available science and standards of practice.
- Advance public policies to achieve these goals.